Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Can Providing Data Online be Harmful to our own identity?

 


Pensive young Caucasian mom and small daughter look at laptop screen think of internet problem solution on gadget. Thoughtful mother and little girl child work use computer, study online at home.


I must admit internet is favorable to everyone, but unfortunately, there are harmful situations that might affect us. Honestly, I’m scared of providing my data on some sites, and we all know they get our information because we provide them. Or maybe it’s our fault after all? But I don't want to conclude anything. I just don't want my identity to be mislead. Of course, they all know about our important information, including my SSN, bank account, etc. Because at some point, we usually do some online shopping or play games which we typically provide our data. In the TEDx talks video, Rose explained that society thinks our data is private, but it is sold or hacked by companies and available on the public or dark web. We don't have any clue what information has been sold. Unfortunately, there are no legal grounds to transfer or sell information. (Barker, 2018) Hearing all of that made me cautious about providing my data online. Especially with my auntie, who I live with. I’m worried that others might manipulate her by calling and believing that she knows her through all the information they might say. I always remind her to be aware of scams. My auntie and I make sure to build our communication openly because we only have each other’s in United States. We don’t want technology to interrupt our relationship. Especially when we are bonding together. When Winner said on how new technology become much more problematic when regarding to social relationships. (Wolske, 2022) He is surely correct. It’s really a problem in our society. When  my friends and I hang out, we try as much as possible not to use our mobile phones to enjoy the moment and build stronger friendship. I also slowly moving away from social media sites because of negativity that affects me. 



Citation:



Wolske, M. (2020). 2A: Digital Internets, Past and Present. In Person-centered guide to demystifying technology: Working together to observe/ question/ design/ prototype/ and implement/reject technology in support of people's valued beings and doings. essay, Windsor & Downs Press. 

TEDx talks. (2018). Internet of Things: Are Smart Devices Helping or Harming? | Rose Barker | TEDxSalem. Retrieved November 22, 2022, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipdTLJcIkWI. 

St adobe stock. (n.d.). Teenage girl and her mom browsing Internet together, using a computer, looking at the laptop screen, vector illustration isolated on white background. photograph. Retrieved from https://stock.adobe.com/images/teenage-girl-and-her-mom-browsing-internet-together-using-a-computer-looking-at-the-laptop-screen-vector-illustration-isolated-on-white-background-woman-and-girl-mom-and-daughter-using-computer/274620739. 

3 comments:

  1. It's scary to think about how our data usage can be monitored and our personal information can be hacked without extra precautions. I can relate to social media negatively affecting many people due to fake news and unrealistic beauty standards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Khaina,
    I enjoyed reading your post and couldn't agree more with what you shared. I never really trusted internet security when I first learned about having to install "Norton security." I also have just Facebook to keep in contact with friends & families outside of Washington state, but besides that, no other social media; I'll have a login created, but I don't post or share anything. You and your auntie can devise a secret word so no one can manipulate your calls. And moving away from social media is good for our health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think due to how we need technology in our life daily, getting hacked is part of our fault by giving up some of our personal information in order to use some apps as you mentioned above. Taking the precautions of installing passwords and reading the privacy terms helps a ton when signing up for websites.

    ReplyDelete

Will Improving my Soft skills Help Me Get Into the IT field?

              Starting in IT Field was quite challenging as an Introvert person. There are soft skills that I have to improve and develop to...